Who are we?
EHA is Europe’s largest non-profit membership organization active in the field of blood diseases (hematology). Our mission is to promote excellence in research and education in the field of hematology. The activities we undertake serve clinicians and scientists in their efforts to improve hematology care for patients. Each year we organize a congress in a major European city which is attended by approximately 10.000 hematologists. In addition we develop and organize education & training programs, publish a scientific journal, advocate for hematology, and offer a career development program.
The EHA Board and its committees are supported by the Executive Office which is located in The Hague. An international team of 25 staff members works in a dynamic, result-driven and open environment and take pride in serving the association in an efficient manner.
in June 2017, EHA launched HemaSphere, a new scientific open access and online journal. The journal will publish original scientific articles, editorials and review articles, as well as opinions, political articles and hematology and EHA related news. A team consisting of 2 Editors-in-Chief and 12 Associate Editors in collaboration with a professional publisher are driving HemaSphere. For the support of this team we are looking for a talented, self-motivated, and experienced
Editorial Coordinator (24-32 hrs)
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the peer-review process for submitted scientific manuscript in close collaboration with the Editors-in-Chief.
- Arranges high quality final review of all content published in HemaSphere.
- Actively solicits and collects content about hematology and EHA related news, opinions, political topics, etc.
- Contributes to activities regarding the promotion of HemaSphere
- Closely collaborates with the publisher to ensure smooth and timely publication and working procedures.
- Central point of contact for author queries.
- Assists with manuscript submission.
- Drafts correspondence to editors and reviewers regarding tasks or assignments.
- Handles general incoming and outgoing correspondence and telephone calls for the journals.
- Ensures accepted manuscripts meet journal-specific style and formatting guidelines.
- Assists with preparations for editorial meetings.
- Updates reviewer/author databases and generates reports as needed.
- Performs other related tasks and duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and/or other management.
Knowledge and experience
- Bachelor degree
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English
- Proven experience with scientific or scholarly publications
- Demonstrated proficiency in customer service.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- Familiarity with online manuscript submission and tracking systems is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A result oriented and flexible attitude
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly professional
- Able to work independently as well as cooperatively in a small team
- Available to travel / attend (inter)national meetings
- Pro active
- Good sense of humour
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
You have a lively personality and a positive attitude. You are strong and confident and not afraid to express your opinion. You are pro-active, independent and possess a hands-on mentality. You have well-developed analytical skills. You are capable of distinguishing and establishing structures while not losing the overview or the overall goal. You are able to translate decisions and directions in tasks and monitor execution and developments. Excellent and clear communication, in particular with professionals, is second nature to you. You see chances and opportunities. You enjoy working in a small organisation.
What do we offer?
- A challenging job in an international environment
- A salary based on knowledge and experience
- 8% holiday allowance
- A collective pension plan
- 30 vacation days
- Good travel reimbursement arrangements
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and your CV before October 1, 2017 to Manou Verhagen-Jansen: email@example.com. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ciska Voncken on +31 (0)70 3020 099.